Project-based Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math Curriculum
Project Lead The Way (PLTW) is the leading provider of rigorous and innovative STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) education curricular programs used in schools. PLTW exists to prepare students for the global economy through its world-class curriculum and an engaged network of educators and students. The hands-on, project-based program engages students on multiple levels, exposes them to areas of study that they typically do not pursue, and provides them with a foundation and proven path to college and career success. More than 4,700 schools in all 50 states and the District of Columbia are currently offering PLTW courses to their students. For more information, visit http://www.pltw.org
High School PLTW Courses
Engineering courses at CHS for 2022-23 school year
- PLTW: Introduction to Engineering (IED) course
- PLTW: Principles of Engineering (POE)
- Robotics (1 Semester), and full-year courses
Computer Science courses include
- Computer Programming 1 (Dual Enrollment)
- AP PLTW Computer Science Principles
- AP Computer Science A
Middle School PLTW Courses
The Parker and the McCarthy Middle Schools are offering PLTW’s Gateway To Technology program which engages the natural curiosity and imagination of middle school students while introducing them to engineering, robotics and computer modeling.
- PLTW Computer Science for Innovators and Makers for all 5th graders as part of the Computer Literacy classes.
- PLTW: Introduction to Computer Science. 6th all sixth-grade students as part of their Computer Literacy course.
- PLTW: Design and Modeling course is taken by all 7th graders for one term
- PLTW: Automation and Robotics course is taken by all 8th-graders for one term
Elementary School PLTW Courses
‘Launch’ is the component of PLTW for elementary students. Chelmsford students are fortunate to experience two separate modules at each grade level:
Launch is the K-4 component of Project Lead the Way (PLTW) where Chelmsford students experience STEM curriculum in their PLTW Computer Lab classes. The units involve computer science and basic engineering concepts. Find out more at the PLTW Launch website.
Young learners are naturally wired for discovery. Discovery is what makes them tick.
PLTW Launch (PreK-5) taps into students’ exploratory nature, engages them in learning that feels like play, and encourages them to keep discovering – now and for whatever future they choose.
Students build in-demand skills through inspiring activities that aren’t typical in a traditional classroom.
- Exploring Design
- Animals and Algorithms
- Animated Storytelling
- Animal Adaptations
- Grids and Games
- Materials Science: Properties of Matter
- Programming Patterns
- Stability and Motion
- Input/Output Human Brain
- Input/Output Computer Systems